Liberals, how lucky are we? We have 3 Democratic candidates vying for the opportunity to run against IL Rep. Bobby Schilling in Illinois' 17th Congressional District. And tomorrow is the BIG day - the Democratic Primary, tomorrow (March 20th, 2012).
But how democratic IS this Democratic Primary? In my opinion, not so much.
WTVP recently aired a debate amongst the 3 Democratic primary challengers for the Illinois' 17th Congressional District: Greg Aguilar, Cheri Bustos, and George Gaulrapp. Being a progressive liberal, I decided to watch the debate (by the way, good job, WTVP), and afterwards, wanted to learn more about the three candidates. So I went to the most popular, local, Democratic Facebook page (Peoria IL County Democrats, a page I "liked" even before this debate) to do a little research.
And what I discovered, was that even though this is a primary to decide who will run against Rep. Bobby Schilling, only candidate Cheri Bustos was being given coverage. Now don't get me wrong, Dems, should Cheri Bustos win the Democratic Primary, I will ABSOLUTELY support her in the general election. I would just kinda like Democrats to be fair about support for candidates vying the chance...after all, aren't we supposed to be the political party that champions equality and fairness?
"So where the proof that Democrats have already decided we should all vote for Cheri Bustos?", you ask?
Facebook page of Peoria IL County Democrats since Feb. 2012:
- Feb 11 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Former congressman gives backing to Bustos".
- Feb 24 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Cheri Bustos endorsed for Congress by Chicago Tribune".
- Feb 28 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Lt. Gov. Simon endorses Cheri Bustos in 17th District race for Congress"
- Feb 29 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "We have till 12 Midnight tonight!" (soliciting donations)
- Mar 01 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Bustos collects endorsements"
- Mar 08 - Post/Link about ALL 3 CANDIDATES!! (Cheri Bustos photo though, reminding everyone to tune-in to WQPT)
- Mar 09 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "17th Congressional, Cheri Bustos (D)"
- Mar 10 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Challenger Bustos Raises 3 Times As Much Incumbent Schilling | Cheri Bustos - 17t Congressional" (LINK TO CHERIBUSTOS.COM)
- Mar 11 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos inviting people to meet Cheri Bustos.
- Mar 13 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Mercer County State's Attorney Endorses Cheri Bustos for Congress".
- Mar 14 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Our View, 17th Congress, Democrats: Bustos"
- Mar 14 - Post/Link about ALL 3 CANDIDATES!! (17th District Democratic Primary Debate on WTVP)
- Mar 15 - Post/Link about ALL 3 CANDIDATES!! (17th District Democratic Primary Debate on WTVP)
- Mar 15 - Photo from "Cheri Bustos For Congress Fundraiser"
- Mar 17 - Campaign Headquarters Photo from "Cheri Bustos for Congress album"
- Mar 17 - Photo from "Cheri Bustos for Congress" (St. Patrick's Day Parade)
- Mar 17 - Post/Link about ALL 3 CANDIDATES!! (WTVP debate)
- Mar 18 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Rockford Register Star endorses Cheri Bustos!"
- Mar 18 - Post/Link about Cheri Bustos, "Letter: Bustos has background, experience district needs"
Hmm...so I posted a question on Peoria IL County Democrat's Facebook page asking if they too had endorsed Bustos. Here's the conversation:
Now while it's possible that Cheri Bustos has been in Peoria more than the other candidates, therefore garnering more "coverage", it just seems AWFULLY one-sided. And if posting articles is just being informative, again, seems AWFULLY one-sided!
Have the other 2 candidates not been endorsed by anyone?
Have the newspapers in the 17th Congressional District NOT written articles about the other 2 candidates?
Do they not have accomplishments or vital info on their websites that could or should be shared with other Democratic supporters and voters?
Putting Peoria IL County Democrats aside (whom, by the way, I do support - despite my consternation), let's look at the email I got from MoveOn.org:
It's an email clearly suggesting candidates that progressives should vote for. Now, while they do have a link which may possibly include a disclaimer about not supporting any one candidate (don't know for sure), what is clear is that PRIOR TO THE PRIMARY Cheri Bustos is recommended...not Gaulrapp, not Aguilar.
Finally, campaign literature was hand-delivered to my house yesterday (Sunday). All 3 of these were delivered by one person, all at the same time:
Look closely at the "ballot". Where it shows 17th District Primary Candidates (circled red), Bustos has been selected of the 3. It is paid for by Friends of Allen Mayer.
Once again, the fact that ALL 3 were delivered at once, suggests to me that they all came from the same place and that somehow this "one place" has already decided who we, as Democrats, should vote for. Once again, IN A PRIMARY, the other 2 Democratic (primary) candidates were not represented.
Now this isn't the general election, and I'm not giving up on the party. But I guess I AM wondering why the "Democratic Party Powers-That-Be" won't give us Democrats an un-biased look or choice at who is available for my vote tomorrow! With all of the effort and money put into convincing me who I should vote for in the primary for the 17th Congressional District, why is this same Democratic Party (seemingly) given up on the race for the Illinois 18th Congressional District already?
Now you tell me...just how democratic IS the Democratic party?
On a side-note...do you wanna know who impressed me most in the WTVP's debate and who I would vote for in the primary if given the choice (yes, that was meant to be snarky)? Message me or leave me a comment, and I'll reply with that answer!